MA in Public History
Public history MA program at the Historical Institute of the University of Wrocław
- Is the first public history program in Poland that is taught in English. Poland offers unique opportunities to study public history – new history museums have been opened yearly, history-related debates occupy public attention, and history-related board games and computer games are known world-wide.
- Is open to all BA graduates (not only in history) interested in public history.
- Deals with all aspects of history outside formal education: oral history, indoor and outdoor exhibitions, historical installations, locating and developing historical elements in mass media, as well as in entertainment, and in virtual environment in its broadest sense.
- All the classes combine theoretical and practical aspects. Students participate in excursions and debates, write speeches, journal articles and other texts, prepare audio-visual materials, develop their own history-related games, and organize history-related events for various audiences.
- Staff includes university professors and specialists from the field: museums, media, entertainment business.
- Students benefit from Erasmus+ exchange in over 50 universities across Europe.
Examples of the Master thesis defended recently
- History-related Internet memes
- Historical biographies – example of St. Edith Stein
- The topic of the Nazi concentration camps in the rock music
- Historical consciousness of the contemporary Polish high school students
- Legends related to the Niedzica castle
- The politics of history of the city of Wrocław after 1989
- Public libraries as public history institutions: case study of Wrocław
- Commemoration of the Cursed Soldiers in North-Eastern Poland
- Students and museums
- Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. Reception of the users of Tripadvisor
Spend one or two semesters at UPEC in Paris and get your second diploma.
The formalization of cooperation between the two universities was possible thanks to funding provided by NAWA KATAMARAN program - Preparation and Implementation of Joint Secondary Degree Programs.
Join the International Public History Summer School
Since 2018 every year the Historical Institute organises the International Public History Summer School. For more information visit the school’s website.
Public history training prepares graduates to work in the areas of:
- politics of history − political parties, local governments, societies, governmental agencies and other state institutions;
- extracurricular history education − libraries, local and national institutions of education, consulting;
- research, data management and oral history − private people, archives, local government;
- combination of history and art history − museums, open-air museums, creative art groups and companies, e.g. as experts of historical movies, games, events;
- combination of history and media − publishing houses, press, new media, webpages, thematic TV channels;
- international cooperation − European institutions, UN.
See the entry requirements and apply.